July 2, 2015.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
“And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” Matthew 19:4-6 (King James Version).
Grounded in the Gospel we reaffirm the univocal biblical teaching that marriage is a covenant of love in the power of the Holy Spirit between a man and a woman. God’s original design of marriage was between one man and one woman (Genesis 2:24). God’s Law, which was revealed to the liberated people of Israel, also recognizes this alone as marriage (Leviticus 18). The Writings (Proverbs 18:22) and the Prophets repeat this reality (Jeremiah 29:6). Our Lord Jesus Christ also defined this holy covenant in these terms and the apostles exhort us regarding this same truth (Ephesians 5:22-23, Hebrews 13:4-7). Through the centuries after Christ’s Resurrection the Church has upheld this biblical teaching, rightly following the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Apostolic Assembly now, full of the Spirit, professes this same unchanging truth.
God’s revelation frames reality, not cultural trends or government decisions. Therefore we object to the Supreme Court’s ruling that now legalizes homosexual marriages in the United States of America. We reject any unbiblical redefinition of marriage. This deals harmfully to human sexuality in an already broken and confused sexual culture where most marriages end in divorce, where unnatural standards of beauty are promoted, and where millions of babies are aborted. God loves all sinners, whether heterosexual or homosexual, and calls them all to repent of their sins and to turn to God’s holy order. God’s original design of marriage does not oppress human sexuality but frees it for true human success and enjoyment. We reject all false teaching that disparages God’s good gift of gender, which we are all physically born with.
The Apostolic Assembly commits to healing human relationships and sexuality to true wholesomeness through public preaching, praying and serving. We ask all bishops, pastors, and members of the Apostolic Assembly to join us in:
- Loving all our neighbors, regardless of differences and without hostility.
- Praying for all of our authorities, despite their policies.
- Engaging culture through dialogue, respect and Spirit-filled creativity.
- Celebrating marriage, as a beautiful representation of Christ and his church.
- Teaching our children and churches God’s perfect design for the family.
- True patriotism through non-violent witness and civic involvement.
- Fasting next week for nationwide change of heart and mind.
In our present culture, let us be full of the Spirit, praying for and living in revival, that our nation and the world would come to know and love Christ Jesus. As his disciples Jesus Christ calls us to love all human beings, without exception, and to stand publicly for God’s design. We recommend all pastors to study with their congregations our doctrinal principle on matrimony and our Constitutional position on Human Sexuality (Article 76, Clause V). Our King’s return is imminent: Let us keep watch and pray.
Bishop John Fortino, President.
Bishop Ismael Martín del Campo,Vice President.
Bishop Felipe A. Salazar, General Secretary.
Bishop Felipe Lugo, General Treasurer.
Bishop Andy Provencio, Secretary of International Missions.
Bishop Joe A. Aguilar, Secretary of National Missions.
Bishop José G. Zúñiga, Secretary of Christian Education.
Bishop Joseph V. Rodríguez,Secretary of Social Assistance.
Doctrinal Principle of the Apostolic Assembly: MATRIMONY
We believe that marriage is sacred, since it was instituted in the beginning, and honorable among all people (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:1-5; Hebrews 13:4). Marriages must be verified in accordance with the laws of the respective countries, and later solemnized in church in accordance with approved practices. Couples who have not legalized their union and wish to be baptized must first meet the requirements of civil laws.
We believe that when a couple unites in marriage, they should remain united as long as both live. When either one dies, the other is free to remarry and does not commit sin if he or she remarries in the Lord (Romans 7:1-3; 1 Corinthians 7:39).
We also believe that marriages shall take place solely among faithful church members. No minister shall perform a marriage ceremony between a church member and an unbeliever. Church members in full communion who marry unbelievers shall be judged by their pastors.
Article 76, Clause V
- HUMAN SEXUALITY – We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged outside of a marriage between a man and a woman. We believe that any form of homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, bestiality, incest, fornication, adultery and pornography are sinful perversions of God’s gift of sex. We believe that God disapproves of and forbids ant attempt to alter one’s gender by surgery or appearance (Gen. 2:24; Gen. 19:5; Gen. 26:8-9; Lev. 18:1-30; Rom. 1:26-29; 1 Cor. 5:1: 6:9; 1 Thess. 4:1-8; Heb. 13:4). We believe that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman (Gen. 2:24, Rom. 7:2, 1 Cor. 7:10; Eph. 5:22-23).